If you stumble upon mold in your house, it can stir up a lot of emotions. Living with mold might make you feel dirty and unclean. It can make you frustrated. And it can overwhelm you at the thought of a costly cleanup. When mold becomes an issue, the first thing some homeowners think of is selling. But this option should be your last resort.
You May Never Notice You’re Living with Mold
Did you know that some people have mold in their homes and don’t know? Yep, you could be living with mold and not feel any negative effects. That’s because not all mold is the same, and different people will respond differently to mold spores. Those sensitive to mold spores may sneeze, have trouble breathing inside of the home, and even have asthma reactions ranging from mild to life threatening.
The question then is, if you don’t know you have mold, what’s next? How can you protect your family?
The Warning Signs of Mold
Ignoring the warning signs of mold or putting off repairs and cleanup can have a lot of negative consequences, both financially and to your health.
There are several warning signs that you may have mold growing inside of your home:
Allergic reactions. Do you find that you have reactions only when you’re at home, that might be a sign. Allergies to mold may present as itchy eyes, runny nose, and uncontrollable sneezing.
Musty odors. Oftentimes, the only noticeable sign that you are living with mold is the odor. You might not see any evidence, but you can smell it! Inside walls and ceiling are both great places for mold to grow and thrive!
Visible mold. Obviously, if you see mold growth, that’s a great sign that you have a problem. A lot of homeowners will notice small mold patches on their walls or ceiling and either just leave them or clean it off occasionally. If you spot mold growing inside your home, this proves that your home has the right conditions for mold growth. Small, visible mold growths on your walls might also be a sign of a large mold colony within that wall.
Mold As a Byproduct of Other Issues
If your home has had any water problems, such as leaking pipes, standing water, or flooding, there is a great possibility you have a mold problem. Mold loves warm, dark, moldy places, which is exactly where your pipes are installed!
In addition to allergic reactions, you or a family member could be suffering from something worse.
Neurological symptoms, including dizziness, headaches, a shortened attention span, or memory loss, could be signs that you are living with mold. Stachybotrys Chartarum is a common toxic mold that can cause mental health problems.
Worried That You’re Living with Mold?
If you have any of the symptoms listed here, whether among family members or in your home, you could be living with mold. And that’s not a good choice for your loved ones. Doan Restoration is available 24/7 for all of your restoration needs, whether that’s mold, floods, or smoke damage. Keep us on your speed dial and be sure to contact us to schedule your mold inspection.